Thursday, June 15, 2006

Amy Butler Bag




Pattern: Amy Butler In-Town Handbag
Started: 27 May 2006
Finished: 08 June 2006
Mods: Installed a zipper pocket and magnetic clasp (what good is a purse if your stuff is going to fall out?) and doubled the width of the handles. I also omitted the outside buttons and ribbon, but might add them later.

This bag went much more quickly than my first. Sewing really does get easier with practice. I flew through the zipper installation this time, and I didn't even have to look at the tutorial!

When I chose the pattern I liked the trapezoid shape. My finished product, however, looks more like a plain old rectangle. I used decorator fabric for the outside and 100% cotton lined with interfacing for the lining. Maybe if I use a lighter weight fabric for the outside the shape would be more of what I was going for.

Would I make it again? Definitely. It was a quick project, but most of all, I think I need to make it again to make the $12 pattern worth it! My materials for the bag cost far less than the pattern. I think my SIL might like one in some funky fabric that I am not bold enough to use for myself.

My next project is a shirt for Sew? I knit! I bought the fabric for two shirts today. One of them is rather wild...I'm trying to inject more color into my wardrobe. It's hard, but a good kind of challenge. Hopefully I'll get to working on at least one of them this weekend.

4 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

I love it! I want to learn to sew! :)

7:42 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Great work! I love your fabric choices. Pretty soon you'll be cranking out bags with no pattern.

If you need any help with the shirts, let me know. Sewing was my first love. I only took up knitting because it was portable.

11:24 PM  
Blogger Terby said...

Great bag. I like your addition of the snap and the zipper - it's definitely functional, and the fabric is fun. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the shirts!

8:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi There,

It is sooooooooo refreshing to hear someone say sewing gets easier with practice. I'm a new sewer, and many times I've felt like just tossing it, and knitting instead. I'm glad I'm sticking with it. I have the AB Chelsea Pattern aned I''m going to attempt it soon. I feel the time has come! Thanks for the encouragement!

Necia

11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home