Saturday, May 20, 2006

Sausage



Spey Valley Sock #1 is almost done. I really like how it looks off of my foot. The yarn is a lovely, rich blend of browns, with a touch of a bluish gray here and there. (Although it probably looks really bad in the photo.) The ribbing is nice and squooshy-looking. However, when I put the sock on, my leg looks and feels like a sausage. The two “Vikkel Braid” rows, while really impressive and cool (looks like the knitting is sideways), may cut off my circulation because they do not stretch. The ribbing itself is stretched to the max. I’m not sure I like it. What to do, what to do?

At first I thought I would finish up the sock and wear it around for awhile to see if it’s comfortable. I can’t get a good feel with the needles still in it. Although the thought of frogging almost an entire sock makes me ill, I think that's the direction I'm headed. In case you're wondering, yes, my gauge is off. Of course I didn't check it until it was too late. If I redo these, I'll use a bigger needle.

Q&A

[Thanks for all your comments on my rainbow scarf post. I’ve never gotten 6 comments before!]

Is the scarf a brioche stitch? No, it’s a mistake rib pattern. K2, P2 over an odd number of stitches.

How did you get it done so fast? This pattern is listed in the 2 to 4 hour project section of LMKG. I lost count after four hour-long TV shows. I estimate that it took me 6-8 hours, and it was my major project of the week. I was slowed by the fact that Noro sticks to itself and the yarn is quite “twisty” and I got tangled up numerous times. Thanks for the tip on washing the Noro, this scarf could use some softness. Overall, the Noro was a fun yarn. I just wanted to keep on going to see how the colors would blend together.

Happy weekend, everybody!

2 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

Depending on what type of fiber the sock is, it might stretch out quite a bit with wear. But if it feels really uncomfortable, as much as I hate to say it, you probably ought to frog. Or find someone with slightly smaller feet who would like them. :)

9:49 PM  
Blogger Coleen said...

I am definitely a "too many projects" kinda girl too! I'm trying to be good about finishing stuff lately though. The call of the yarn is strong... must resist!

10:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home