Monday, April 03, 2006

FO Frenzy!

I was looking for an easy project to take to First Saturday Knitting. Enter the handwarmers. I had been meaning to make a pair for some time, since my hands are almost always cold. Unfortunately, I don’t forsee myself taking them to work, where I need them the most. They will be great for reading or using the computer at home. These were a fun, quick knit.

Women’s Hand/Wristwarmers
Pattern: Last Minute Knitted Gifts
Started: 30Mar2006
Finished: 01Apr2006
Yarn: Noro Cash Iroha, Color 80 (Thanks, Kathy!), 1 skein
Needles: The pattern requires two circulars, “necessary because of the curve of the handwarmer.” Whatever. A set of 5 Clover DPNs, US sz 6 worked fine.

A truly remarkable thing has happened. I used some fabric stash! I achieved one of my goals for 2006. I bought this flannel and pattern at least three years ago. This was supposed to be my first sewed garment, since flannel pants don’t go out of the house. But after initially buying the wrong size pattern (how was I supposed to know my “normal” size is way off of sewing pattern size?), and then actually taking the pattern out of the envelope and panicking over the wrinkly, giant pieces of tissue paper, the project lived in my fabric stash, untouched and unloved.

The flannel pants were not free of problems. My head almost exploded while trying to figure out the pockets-right side, wrong side, put these together, facing this way, blah blah blah, but the pocket installation was successful on the first try. The side seam, however, was not:


Know anyone who would fit into these? I don’t. Riiiiiiip. Thankfully I had the presence of mind to check the first seam before I sewed both sides of the mutant pants.



Flannel Pants
Pattern: Butterick 6354
Started: 20-March-2006
Finished: 01-April-2006







Laura asked about the pattern for the green sweater I'm working on. It's Rose, the sleeved version of Soleil.

2 Comments:

Blogger Terby said...

I liked the women's pattern better, but the husband vetoed it as too much texture. And I agree - the two circular thing was ridiculous.

The pants turned out well. I really wish I had managed to take my mom's sewing machine. Oh well. Someday I'll have one.

3:34 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks for the info on the sweater! I think I'm going to have to order that pattern, though I like Soleil too. Thanks too for your nice comment about my sock pal socks -- I hope she does like them. In any case, I am sure that they will be different from the other handknit socks she has!

Your pajama pants look great ... really comfy.

5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home