Thursday, May 18, 2006

I've been away

Hmm. Where to start? I've been away from home and the internet for over a week. Yesterday was my first day back at work and I'm slowly catching up on things around the house.

My grandma died early last week. Although I have been expecting this since February, it’s still hard. She really is in a better place now. The past several weeks were not good to her.

Due to my somewhat unusual family situation, my mom and I lived with my grandparents while I was growing up, so my grandma was really a second mother to me. She was a huge influence on my life. She taught me basic sewing skills, how to make chocolate chip cookies, and was always my biggest supporter.

My grandma was a knitter, and the pastor even mentioned during the service that knitting was one of her hobbies. She was not an obsessed knitter like many of us knitbloggers, it was more of a “healthy” habit. She may have tried to teach me to knit when I was younger, but I wasn’t really interested. I started knitting in November 2004, just a few months before she stopped. Her cancer treatments made her lose interest in knitting and cross stitch. (Can you imagine? Just sitting at home for months doing nothing but watching bad daytime TV?)

I showed you a pillow a few weeks ago that she had almost finished. All that was left was the final seam. I finished it four days before she died.



We started going through some of her things and I, of course, snatched up some knitting stuff. I’m thankful that I took up knitting when I did, or who knows what would have happened to these things that were so much a part of her life. No one else in the family knits. Two of my aunts do embroidery and cross stitch though, so hopefully they will take some of that. There’s still a lot to go through. In another post, I’ll show you some of the things I took, including the FUNNIEST PATTERN EVER.

I didn’t knit a single stitch for a week. However, I finished up this cross stitch that I started over Easter. I hope to get it framed before next year!



Started: 14 April 2006
Finished: 15 May 2006

So once again, I have a 2 FO post. Hopefully some knitting photos next time!

2 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

Hi Jenny! I'm so sorry about your grandmother. It is hard, even when it is totally expected. That's great that you could take some of her knitting stuff. I'm sure she would want someone she loves to be enjoying it! :)

I can't wait to see that pattern. I can only imagine.

2:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Jenny,

I'm so sorry about your grandma. It's hard to say good-bye.

12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home