Thursday, June 01, 2006

The Knitted Snowsuit


"Let the wintry breezes blow -- inside this cozy one-piece suit your youngster will be snug and warm!"

Of all my grandma's knitting stuff I've looked through so far, this is by far my favorite thing. The knitted snowsuit. Head to toe Red Heart to keep the snow away? Is that really practical??? Thankfully I don't think she ever made one!

The pattern is from the pattern book Children's Knits, dated 1962.

I'm glad to see that people knitted dog sweaters 40 years ago. I wonder when the first dog sweater was made?

My grandma made several of these hats over the years:


I did take a few other pattern leaflets, but this one is by far the most interesting.

4 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

Aren't those old pamphlets fun?

An acrylic snowsuit would be pretty worthless for snow protection, I think. Bad on insulation value, bad for waterproofing, bad bad bad all around.

7:31 PM  
Blogger ChestyLove said...

I say, send it to Threadbared. This'll give em fodder for AGES.

2:08 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ah, if it wouldn't take too long, it would be almost worth knitting a winter snowsuit . . . just to see my kids face . . . and the stark terror that I might be making it for THEM for Christmas!

10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now, this knitted snowsuit absolutely rocks, I would love to see such a thing in person one day! Gosh, imagine how much work that'd be? Okay, for kids it'd be a bit smaller, but still... :) Amazing find indeed!

11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home