Monday, January 23, 2006

PDA at the LYS

Question: What would make a couple want to make out at a LYS?
A: "Sure, honey, I'll buy that $100 bag of cashmere for you, it's on sale!
B: "See these books over here? I'll buy you one of each title!"
C: "I can't wait for you to finish your knitted _________ (insert name of your choice of undergarment here)."
D: It was an entry into the Extreme Knitter contest, although there wasn't any knitting going on.

Maybe I just don't get it. Maybe I'm getting old. Maybe it's because I'm married that I find yarn store PDA a little bizarre. This was not a little peck on the cheek, it was a prolonged, passionate kiss.

Saturday was a Knitty meetup. Elizabeth already covered many of the details here. We met at a LYS/coffeeshop, which was buzzing with activity. I spotted a Wavy, (here's mine)

so the owner and I chatted a bit-I figured she was there for the meetup, but she was meeting someone else. She spotted my sock and exclaimed, "Is that a Jaywalker?" Sure was. She pulled her very own Jaywalker out of her bag. I guess we have similar taste in patterns!

I managed to work a quarter round of my Jaywalker before I lost a stitch. Back in the bag it went. Instead, I worked on a scarf with some "problem yarn" Terby destashed to me the last time I saw her. I messed around with it a bit in the morning and decided that it looked pretty good combined with some leftover Lamb's Pride. I managed to screw up the scarf a few times, too. Of course I am going to run out of the Lamb's Pride and have no idea if I can get any more of that color. That was not very smart of me.... I'm tempted to rip it out and start over with a full skein. So the knitting wasn't so great on Saturday. Too many distractions.

My very awesome Holiday SP, Kathy, drove an hour and a half to the meetup. It was great to meet her! She brought me my final package full of wonderful goodies: a skein of Cash Iroha for armwarmers (right now my fingers are freezing, gotta get working on those), 3 skeins of Silk Garden (leftover from the GORGEOUS sweater she was wearing), 2 more balls of the extremely thin mohair she sent in my first package, chocolate, and a nice card! I'll post a picture sometime later this week. Not everyone is so lucky to get a SP package hand delivered!

My Not Cashmere Sweater is coming along...pics to come.

4 Comments:

Blogger Terby said...

Making out at Lakeside? That's just plain weird.
My word verification seems very appropriate: whhha?
See you this Sat.

5:07 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Checking out the word verification is like playing the lottery: I always hope it will be somehow appropriate or amusing. Not so lucky this time: fdvlkbi. Must be Welsch. Isn't that a vowel deficient language?

I think he was going to buy the bag of cashmere and she was going to knit matching thongs for them and a zaftig for herself and they got all hot and bothered just imagining the possibilities.

Either that, or they thought that if they were gross enough, people would leave and open up a table or couch for them. God knows what would have happened if they'd snared a futon!

8:37 PM  
Blogger Vicki Knitorious said...

I can't find your email; I've tagged you in my Wednesday post.

Vicki
knitorious.typepad.com

11:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I (fortunately) totally missed the make out session by the cashmere. Thanks for a lovely afternoon anyway.

Kathy

5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home