Thursday, January 19, 2006

Moving on...

No more stuff on work right now. I just want it to go away. Is it the weekend yet?

Here are my somewhat belated craft resolutions for 2006:
  • Learn how to knit fair isle. I want to make one of the bags from Handknit Holidays. If my knitting looks weird, I can just felt it and make it look good! When I saw that someone on the knitalong did this, I knew I had to do a bag as my first project. I made a felted Sophie bag when I switched from English to Continental, which made all mistakes disappear!
  • Knit a cabled sweater. I really want to do something with sort of complex cables, but haven’t decided on the pattern yet.
  • Use my sock yarn stash. I have enough to make 3 pairs of socks (I know, that is hardly a “stash”). I’m not super excited about any of the yarn, so the patterns need to be good. Since sock yarn is so easy to accumulate, I need to be careful that I don’t hoard it. It stresses me out to have too much yarn around.
  • Knit with Lorna’s Laces sock yarn. After hearing so much about it in the blogging world, I must have some for myself. This is my easiest goal this year.
  • Find someone to professionally quilt my twin size and full size quilt tops that have been sitting around for 3 or 4 years. I still need to seam the back piece for one of them. It’s a huge pain. This was a failed resolution from 2005, although I did seam the back for one, so I did make some progress last year.
  • Finish the smaller quilt I have been working on for a couple of years. I’m doing free motion quilting. I got about halfway done, then life got in the way and I didn’t touch my sewing machine for over a year. When I tried to get back into it, the thread kept breaking. I don’t know if my machine got smacked around when we moved, if it needs a good cleaning, if the metallic thread I’m using is starting to disintegrate (is that possible?), or if my technique is horrible from being out of practice.
  • [Side note: I have no illusions that I will use any of my fabric stash or work on any other quilting UFO’s.]
  • Finish some Xmas cross stitch projects that have been sitting around for (yipes!) 6 years or so. The stitching is done. I don’t want to frame them, so I need to figure out an alternative finishing method. Mini pillows?
  • Complete at least 2 scrapbook pages. I have all this scrapbooking stuff and have made a total of 4 pages in my life. This is probably my most unrealistic resolution.

My boss boss was saying today how we need to constantly be improving ourselves and how tomorrow I should be a better Jenny than I am today. I immediately thought of my knitting, rather than applying this to anything work related. (If she only knew...)

May we all be better knitters tomorrow.

2 Comments:

Blogger Terby said...

The good news is that it's Friday!

5:35 PM  
Blogger Kucki68 said...

Look for Sockbug, she has a blog and very nice sock patterns (with a name like that you would expect that, right?).

Joining the Follow the Leader Aran Knitalong might be fun for the cable sweater. (google big sky flak to find the KAL).

How about "quilted" wallhangings from the cross stitch? That would diminish stash and finish the projects. Though pillows sound good too.

8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home