Monday, January 09, 2006

Must. Knit. Faster.

I restarted my Jaywalkers and worked on them for awhile on Sunday. This was my first time knitting socks with a set of 5 needles instead of 4. It was a bit trickier working on the first few rows, but it got easier once I had enough rows to stabilize the needles. I feel like I worked on this for hours and hours, but this is all I have to show for it:

The yarn is from my Holiday SP, who is no longer nameless: Kathy!

I think I need to do some research on knitting socks on 2 circs. I don’t think I want to do two at a time, since I forsee myself getting tangled, tangled, tangled. One at a time just might be faster than using dpns, and I am all about getting faster with sock knitting. I did Magic Loop for a few rows on a sweater sleeve once and it drove me crazy pulling the stitches back on the needles and it broke my rhythm. Using 2 circs could be better, because I think you just keep knitting around, you just have to be careful to select the correct needle. I need to look into this more…

Moving from Size 1 to Size 10.5, here’s the Not Cashmere Sweater progress:


A few people at work know I knit, although no one really knows how MUCH I knit or what an OBSESSION it is and certainly no one at work knows I have a blog. A coworker asked me recently if it was difficult to make a hat and did I have a good pattern. I brought in my latest umbilical cord hat and my copy of SnB for her to look through because that was my first circular project and it went very well. It turns out that she’s made a sweater before (in a class), but for some reason she has a fear of knitting in the round. I hope I gave her enough of a pep talk so she will give it a try-if you can make a sweater you can definitely make a hat! She had never seen SnB before, and I think I convinced her that she needed to have it because of the great instructions.

3 Comments:

Blogger Terby said...

I have the 2 circs book, if you want me to bring it to last Sat knitting... I personally find it more fiddly than dpns, but it's nice for sock patterns with long repeats. I haven't tried magic loop, but I think my needles are too short for it.

6:14 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

That's a great start to your Jaywalkers! What is the yarn? The colors are so nice. I like both 2 circs and Magic Loop methods. I usually do ML, but I have to admit the 2 circs method is a little less fiddly. You may really like it.

7:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jenny,

You wouldn't believe how incredibly close I'm getting to mailing that 2nd holiday sp pkg and fully revealing my tremendously glamorous and thrilling identity. About the 2 circs vs. 1 long circ (magic loop) vs. dpns. I've done all three and I prefer dpns exactly for the reasons you prefer them over magic loop. I found the 2 circs even more fiddly than the 1 long one. But take it with a grain of salt from the edge of your margarita because I only knitted 1 1/2 pairs of mittens on the 2 circs.

Kathy

10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home