Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Knitoversary and SP Goodies!

I was hoping to get a SP gift before I went out of town for Thanksgiving. I squealed with delight when I saw a package in my mailbox today! What a haul! (I'm camera-less again today.)

a ball of Lana Grossa sock yarn in blues/green/yellow
2 balls of kid mohair which I am very excited to try
some dark chocolate Hershey's nuggets-yum! I've only eaten half of them so far
nylon reinforcement thread
a tape measure in it's own little case-no more flopping around in my notions bag!
2 Addi turbos for doing socks on 2 circs-I'm very excited to try this!!!
a box of stitch markers-some are jingle bells!
a sturdy gauge checker/needle sizer-I'm so happy to trash my paper one!

THANK YOU, SP! I am so anxious to find out who you are!

Saturday the 26th is my one year knitoversary. Instead of going shopping the day after Thanksgiving last year, I cracked open the learn-to-knit kit I picked up at Michael’s earlier in the week. I had been wandering around Michael’s and got sucked into the yarn department where there were several people talking about scarves. I hid the kit in the closet for a few days because I knew my husband was going to give me grief about it. (“Knitting is for old ladies.”) Knitting was about the only craft I hadn’t tried (I did a brief stint with crochet in grad school, but that was quickly abandoned). It was an innocent start to a hobby that pretty much consumes my every waking moment now. I can count on my two hands the days in the past year that I haven’t knit for at least a few minutes. In one year I have completed the following: 3 sweaters, 1 purse, 6 scarves, 2 dishcloths, 6 baby hats, 1 adult hat, 2 ½ pairs of socks, 1 pair of slippers, 1 womb. Hmm, I must be forgetting something! No cozys (cozies?), ponchos, or legwarmers, thank you very much.

Goals for my second year of knitting: a bigger lace project, intarsia, a cabled sweater, and mittens.

I have managed to keep my stash under control. I learned my lesson with quilting fabrics-I have a couple of big boxes that I will probably never use now that I am a knitter. I would have almost zero stash if it hadn’t been for a 50% off sale at a LYS.

I have a long car trip ahead of me over Thanksgiving. Sadly, I am driving by myself. Nine hours of good car knitting (round trip)-WASTED! I wonder if I can get autopilot on my next car. I plan on working on a counted cross-stitch snowman while I’m out of town. I don’t want to mess with yarn around my mom’s cats, and this will force me to work on something else for awhile.

DH took the camera to work again today. Elizabeth suggested that maybe it’s time for another camera. Great idea! I’d love a second digital camera (Santa, are you listening?). We have more than enough film cameras, though, since photography is one of my other hobbies, although it hasn’t gotten much attention lately. I have an SLR, a point and shoot with zoom, a point and shoot without zoom, and a broken lomography camera that takes 4 photos on every frame.

Happy Thanksgiving! Gobble gobble gobble.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think the Addis are long enough for the knitting on 2 circs method. They're in your package just in case you like Addi needles. They'd be good for sweater sleeves or hats.

Have a safe drive. I hope you are there already. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

HSP

10:25 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Thanks, HSP! I DO LOVE ADDIS! I use them for almost everything, but have never used ones so tiny. I'm anxious to find out who you are!

7:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home