Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Count your socks

Regular readers (all three or four of you!) may have noticed that I put up a Count Your Socks button recently. The idea is to keep track of the number of socks you make in 2006. Click on the button to be included in the group with fellow sock counters. Here's my starting count of 3 pairs, completed in 2005:
Regia, KnitPicks, and Mountain Colors Bearfoot. The Regia socks are holding up very well. KnitPicks, eh, I'm not so happy with the yarn. Really nice to knit with and wear, but fuzzes up instantly. I am completely in love with my Rib and Cable socks. Yum. Although they do make my legs itch a bit after wearing them all day.

I cannot tell you how much I love knitting socks. I love wearing handknit socks. I feel special when wearing handmade socks. I love looking at sock yarn. I can wear wild socks in colors I would not normally wear elsewhere on my body. I can splurge on $20 of sock yarn, but not $100 for sweater yarn (at least I haven't done that yet, just give me some time, I'm sure). Socks do not require finishing other than weaving in the ends. Mild imperfections are no big deal; they are just socks. They can be simple or complex. WIPs can be easily transported.

Next time I go to First Saturday Knitting, I think some Cherry Tree Hill yarn is going to come home with me. 10% off when you're with a group... (enablers!).

Just the toe left on my second Jaywalker! They should be done tomorrow!

3 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

Nice lookin' socks you got there. I know what you mean about the happy feeling of wearing hand-knit socks.

Word to the wise: avoid Patons Kroy. I might use it for other things, but not hard-wear items like socks. I made two pairs of socks with it in the last couple of years and was not happy to get holes in the toes very quickly.

10:28 PM  
Blogger Terby said...

I'm wearing hand-knit socks today, and I do love them. I agree with you on the Knit Picks yarn. I really liked knitting my merino socks, but they look terrible. On the other hand, the Koigu and the Fleece Artist yarns are fabulous after washing, and have little to no sign of wear. I'll look into the sock counting!
I forgot about the 10% discount. And their sock yarn. Hmm.

12:17 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

You articulated all the wonderful things about knitting socks. I love love love handknit socks, both while I am knitting them and while I am wearing them! My husband and I have argued about this -- he thinks it is a waste to handknit something that will go on your feet and no one will see. Feh. What does he know?

And you're welcome! I should be getting that stuff out in the mail soon!

12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home