Friday, December 01, 2006

Finished Trekking Socks



Toe Up Crazy Trekking Socks
Started: 06Jul2006
Finished: 12Oct2006 (again, better late than never!)
Needles: Sz 0 Susan Bates Aluminum, bound off with Sz 2 1/2 bamboo
Cast on using Magic Cast On
62 stitches for foot, increased to 66 for cuff

This is my second pair of toe up socks. The magic cast on is definitely better than the regular old figure eight cast on I used before, but I still like cuff down socks better.

Time to comment on your comments:

Yes, I'd recommend the Knitpicks Options. I really like using them on Ene. That's the only project I've used them on so far, though. I've been working on a lot of hats lately and need Addi's shorter cords for those.

Cross stitch stores will stretch your piece when they frame it. If you're using Aida cloth, it's not necessary on smaller projects, since that is a stiff fabric. I've been using a lot of linen lately, and that looks better when it's stretched in the frame.

I tried looking for an online framing tutorial once, but couldn't find a good one. The evil cross stitch store had a good selection of premade frames and they also sell pre-cut foam core, but I'm not sure exactly how to stretch my fabric over that and attach it. Maybe it's time to find out!

I tried to take a small piece to the Michael's in Madison once, but their custom frames are more suitable for photos or really large items. They wanted $50 or something outrageous to frame my teeny cross stitch, WITH the coupon. I have never checked out the framing department at Joann's. Maybe they have a better selection.

Enjoy your weekend!

4 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

oooh, nice socks!

join the stranded kal! do it! it will be fun! :)

5:42 PM  
Blogger Terby said...

Hey, cool socks! And cute stuff from the last post too. I'm behind.

The nice people at the good cross-stitch store in Madison (ahem) helped me with framing a big piece.

You could do it pretty easily. You need a board and some batting, and after the piece is blocked, you basically stitch across the back in a big zig-zag from the top to bottom using quilting thread, pulling the front tight and evenly. Then you do the sides. If your linen is big enough, you're in great shape, otherwise you need to put some muslin on the edges first. Clear as mud? E-mail me if you need more (or better) explanations.

7:20 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Great looking socks!

My framing at home experience has been limited to watercolors and photographs, so I know the fabric adds another level of complexity. Terby's directions sound pretty easy to me.

8:58 PM  
Blogger Kathy Kathy Kathy said...

You've got some of the shapliest feet on the Internet.

3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home