Friday, October 06, 2006

Socktoberfest: The History

Here's my personal sock history.

When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class?
I started knitting in Nov. 2004. Sometime in the next couple of months I was reading my MIL's Martha Stewart Living and there was an article about handknit socks. I thought the self-striping ones (Regia) looked really cool. I went out and bought my own copy of the magazine and got to work. I went to a toe-up sock class for my second pair of socks and it was not worth my time or money. I learn better on my own.

What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time?

Here's one of the pair of Martha Stewart Socks. They have held up wonderfully. The yarn is Regia. I almost hyperventilated at the store spending TWELVE WHOLE DOLLARS to buy yarn for socks. I thought I was crazy.

What would you have done differently?
Nothing, really. Looking back, I'm surprised that these socks were such a success. I didn't have any problems at all and they fit me well.

What yarns have you particularly enjoyed?
I like Bearfoot, but find it a little itchy to wear. I liked knitting with Cherry Tree Hill, but haven't worn the socks yet. I have some Lorna's Laces in my stash that I'll probably have to use next and from what I've heard, I'm going to loooooove it. As you can see, I no longer have a problem spending money on sock yarn. I got over that pretty quickly! I've yet to find a sock yarn I don't like.

Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method?
Susan Bates aluminum DPNs. Love them.

Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?)
I think I'm more of a flapper.

How many pairs have you made?
Just five. I wish I had more! #6 may be finished this weekend.

1 Comments:

Blogger msubulldog said...

Heh, thanks for the comment on my blog! I got the hat part of the Leia wig done tonight and started on the buns, but they're 23 inches long (!), so I don't have any measurable progress to post, yet. :)
I have definitely gotten my share of knit celebs this year, haven't I? :)
--A

11:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home